Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dealing with infertility

Infertility is a challenge in itself.  It is emotionally and physically draining.  Each month you go through various stages of a waiting game.  You wait for your period to come and go.  You take meds, get ultrasounds and wait to ovulate.  You wait for your IUI.  You wait two weeks to see if it was successful or not.  Then you repeat the cycle again.  If it is a negative (which is all I've ever had), it's as if a loved one died.  You feel empty and hopeless.  You cry and wonder why this is all happening.  You look for support but it is hard to find. 

People who haven't struggled with infertility don't get it.  They say things that they think are comforting but it isn't.  I don't want to hear that I need to take a break from trying and then it will work because that happened for someone they knew.  I don't want to hear complaining because it took you a few months to get pregnant (sometimes pregnant again).  It's now been 2 years for me.  I don't really want to gawk and stare at your countless ultrasounds or pregnancy photos (I wish they didn't always show up on Facebook).  Please don't tell me that I am lucky to not have morning sickness or 3 am feedsings.  I would die to have that. 

Infertility is a medical issue.  I didn't choose to have it.  I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment